MV

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Sound through HDMI cable

Recently I got myself a fine new full HD television. My laptop has HDMI output so I immediately wanted to watch some movies on my new television. Unfortunately the sound still came through the lousy laptop speakers. Some googling made me a happy man :-)

My system is an HP dv7 1140eb with nVidia 9200M GS running Ubuntu 9.10.

So this is what I had to do to get video and sound to play on my television through my HDMI cable:

1) Update the nVidia drivers to the latest (I used the nvidia drivers from nvidia.com). Go into
2) open sound preferences (system > preferences > sound): on the hardware tab, check if there is a profile Digital Stereo (HDMI) Output. If so select that profile
3) open alsamixer in shell, go to S/PDIF 0 and 1 with RIGHT arrow and unmute by pressing m.
4) test

if there is still no sound via your tv speakers continue, otherwise: w00tness!

1) upgrade alsa version to version 1.0.22:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6589810#post6589810
This procedure might take some time (in my case appx 15 minutes)
2) open the sound preferences (system > preferences > sound): on the hardware tab, select the proper Profile, in my case Digital Stereo (HDMI) Output (original value: Analog Stereo Output)
3) open alsamixer in shell, go to S/PDIF 0 and 1 with RIGHT arrow and unmute by pressing m.

That should do the trick. I hope this information helps other people.

Bye Bye til the Next Time

No comments:

Post a Comment